Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Keeping Things Real at 22 Years Young

Greetings-

Time is of the essence on my behalf here- another chapter in my life is about to close (and begin) as I am wrapping up my 5 months here in the Mother City. There were two events  I thought about in my early stay here that would pinpoint my time in Cape Town is over. One was Lea coming to visit and the other my birthday. Well, Lea left last Friday, and my birthday was yesterday. That leaves me with one final exam at 8:00am in the morning, and then I'm clear for take-off (Literally). It is unbelievable how fast the time has flown by here. More so, it's unbelievable that I'm 22 years young now. I feel no where near that age, nor do I have any reason to. 

Aside from studying for my final exam these last few days, I've managed to keep a steady pace in loathing in my surroundings as much as I can. Today, I went for afternoon 'High Tea' at the Mount Nelson, a 5 star hotel in downtown Cape Town. It is supposedly one of the best high tea experiences in the world.  I was reminded of flowery smells of Grandma Berquist's house upon entering the sun lounge.The atmosphere consisted of  British/Colonial feel that was highly elegant and quite enjoyable., and . I missed the  dress code of no shorts or slops (sandals), and was asked by the staff to put my sandals on after walking around barefoot. A bit out of my league in terms of formal dining but what the hell, it was paid for through my abroad program and a tea party sounded more appealing than studying.

Lea and I had more adventures during the remainder of her stay here: Hiking up Skeleton Gorge and over to Table Mountain-despite the kak weather of rain/cloud, Kristenbosch Botanical Gardens, Renting a car and cruising to Cape Point and Cape of Good Hope, Sunsets, waterfront, and some nighttime outings. It was nice to spend time with her and show her my life here. 

Wrapping things up early tonight, for T-Minus 10 Hours before my I dominate UCT's goofy exam system. Enjoy the photos!

Jeff

Hiking down Table Mountain at sunset. Also a cable car option  to get to the top.

So hilarious. The bus loads of these people provided lots of  good laughs  amongst us all.

Lea serenading me with her lekker dancing skills. Scarborough Beach.

Jack Daniels Peanut Butter Milk Shakes!

Several  Baboons on our sea side cruise to Cape Point.

Cape of Good Hope! We Did It!

Kristenbosch Botanical Gardens- Not the best day for views while hiking but we managed.

Cape of Good Hope- Trying to be just as cool as our Asian friends!

My birthday cake Diane and Oma made for me. (Homemade and so good.) Fortunately I my stomach was a bit more up to par for intaking solid foods than it was earlier in the day.

'High Tea' at the Mount Nelson. June 7th 2011.

Where 10 of us Americans drank all sorts of flavors of tea, ate lots of really fancy desserts and appetizers, and played 'sophisticated' for a few hours, while a piano man zenned  the atmosphere with classical music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment